Wednesday 20 August 2014

Quilting Inspiration

I've been having a big push this week on trying to get this quilt done. I've so nearly finished the top...

My jumble of completed blocks.

Ten out of my eleven pieces are completed, but I have quilters block on the last one and need some inspiration. One of the things I really like about 'quilt as you go' is that you can play around lots with the quilting and it's easy to make each block as individual as you like. And I've been doing lots of playing around with the quilting. It mostly started with straight line quilting in various ways...





But there's only so much straight line quilting I can do before I get a bit bored, and it starts to become a little bit more fancy...


 And then the straight lines start to morph into more interesting shapes...


 Patterns...


Words...


And of course pictures...



My own, and picking out detail in the fabric...

 

You see, this is why it's been taking so much time, lots of detail in this one! And it's all been going well, until I got to this block...



Can you see my 3 elephants walking along the top, tail to trunk? I quilted these on there, and then couldn't think how to quilt the other 3 torquoisey sides of this little patch. It's only a small area of the quilt as a whole and it really won't stand out at all, so I ought not to worry too much about what I finish it with here. But I just can't quite think of anything I'm happy with sewing round these other sides. I've slept on it for a couple of days, while I've finished all the other blocks, hoping that inspiration would appear from somewhere. But it hasn't and all my other blocks are now done. My only thought is maybe to quilt a word along the bottom, perhaps 'family'? And no ideas for down the sides really. Any suggestions to help?

Sally.

5 comments:

  1. If you go with family at the bottom, I would put more hearts along the sides. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It is gorgeous. Can'T wait to see it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always beautiful work from you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such whimsy, fun, colour and incredible detail make a one-of-a kind quilt. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!