Monday 19 August 2013

Mini Bee Quilt

I've finally finished my mini bee quilt - that began so long ago with the hexxie bug that hit the house!


I'm not too sure why it took me so long since it's really simple and small. After ironing over the bee pieces and tacking them down ...



I just machine appliqued them on to all 3 layers of the quilt sandwich at once...



quilted a few swirly bee flight lines...
 
The lines show up better in the photo on the reverse of the quilt.

 
embroidered a few words...
 


 and added the border...
 
The border fabric is Robert Kaufmam - Bright and Buzzy Bees on Sky, I got a fat quarter here
The words come from a line from a William Blake poem - "The busy bee has no time for sorrow". I wanted to put something else on here to add just a bit more interest and colour. I was tempted by just a "Bee happy!" line, but I vaguely remembered this 'no time for sorrow' line from long ago and tracked it down to be a little more high brow this time!


It's from 'The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, Proverbs of Hell' if anyone's interested! While I was tracking it down I came across some other William Blake lines I liked - I'm a bit of a collector of quotes:

The eye altering, alters all

No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings

He whose face gives no light, shall never become a star

The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship

Maybe my mini quilt wall-to-be should have a theme of quotes on each of them??? I quite like that idea, what do you think? (Mini quilt wall inspiration growing here)

Back tomorrow, Sally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!